Wednesday 7 September 2016

The Chef Episode 5

I've never seen a prosecutor so shocked by such an immensely positive piece of information. The whole courtroom was dead silent with everyone still reeling over what they had just heard. But the prosecutor wasn't sure he heard her right,
"Can you repeat what you just said?". He asked her
"I can assure you that my husband killed Gubemi Fregene". The total absence of flaws in her
composure was astounding. Even the judge was frowning in confusion. I just searched my mind for what she was up to, because I knew Bridget couldn't possibly testify against me. But she just kept talking
"My husband never liked Chef Fregz. He always wanted that spot of Africa's best. He took multiple trips to different parts of Africa just to taste Chef Fregz's meals personally and to convince himself that he we was better, he was that obsessed. When I started getting worried was the day before Chef Fregz visited Lagoon Restaurant. My husband knew he was coming. He even made the oyster soup in preparation of Chef Fregz's arrival. At first I thought he was practicing to impress him, but now I know he was just finding how to lace it with poison, so it won't be detected. He never ate the meal, he didn't offer me as much as a spoon either, he just disposed it after cooking it . The apprehension was written all over him the next day, he cut himself when shaving, he never does that, he even rammed his car against the fence when leaving leaving the compound. When I heard that Fregz died in his restaurant, everything fell in place and I sent part of the oyster soup that he disposed to a lab, the test result came in this morning, positive ". Everyone gasped like it had been reharsed but she just went on, unfazed.
"And of course, I have proof for all of this". She knew it would take some time for us all to swallow. The most sickening part was that she kept smiling at me from time to time. I couldn't hold it any longer,
"Why?!!!" I screamed at her. And she still did not stop smiling. Then she ascertained her betrayal with a middle finger that still had the engagement ring I gave her on it. So I took the next logical step, to check if she really had proof. And I was astounded by how accurate she was as she presented the evidence.
She presented all my travel tickets to see Chef Fregz but nobody would have believed if I said I went on the request of the former chef de cuisine. And of course no one was going to believe that the oyster soup was a coincidence, bridget probably planted the poison in the portion I gave her as part of the set up. I was so happy when Bridget offered to shave me that day, I barely even noticed when she cut me but now I felt like a fool. And I dented the vehicle a day before the incident, but unlike her, I had no proof whatsoever. Her wits which I admired so much had become my nemesis. I watched as the judge acknowledged every piece of evidence one at a time and how the initial expressions of pity in the courtroom turned to ones of suspicion, I felt hope slip away as the prosecutor's case became stronger and stronger after the tremendous boost Bridget  had given him. By the time he was done, even I was almost convinced that I was guilty. My lawyer's defense was just a formality, and I was too drained emotionally to pay any attention to it. I just couldn't stop staring at Bridget, thinking of why she had decided to ruin me. And I found no answers. All I found was unrepentance and fulfillment in her eyes, the eyes that once held comfort and solace for me. My lawyer rounded off, and we went on a recess.

Things got interesting during recess when I got the news that there wasn't going to be an adjournment. I was to know my fate that day. And for some reason, that gave a strange feeling of relief. I had anticipated months of trials, but from the moment Bridget testified against me, I just wanted everything to end as quickly as possible. I did not have any desire to appeal or to drag the case, I lost the zeal to move on with my former life, I didn't even want to cook anymore, all I wanted was to know why she did it. But in no time we were back in the courtroom, anticipating the verdict. The judge went about his business reviewing the happenings of the day and carrying out other necessities and then he spoke the decisive words.
"I have seen the cases presented by both parties as well as the evidences and I have come to a verdict. The accused has been found guilty of murder. And he is sentenced to death by the electric chair. The execution would take place on a scheduled...." his words were drowned out by exclamations of horror. But I just smiled.

       
      To Be Continued...


 Sam


    

No comments:

Post a Comment