Friday 23 December 2016

DAMNED Episode :5

Nelson sat up and looked straight at his father who already seemed to be feeling pleased with himself, then he glanced at Bruno who had been absolutely silent since they arrived and got exactly what he needed, a supportive nod.
“Sir, Aisha is pregnant for me and I am ready to do all I can to take care of her and the child”. Nelson could barely contain the relief that he felt after he spoke with tears gathering in his eyes. Pastor Mbaka on the other hand had gone pale in the face. His grey hair suddenly became very pronounced and his breathing seemed to be encountering some difficulty. His face was stuck in a permanent expression of panic. After some seconds in this state, he calmly stood up and walked out. His wife followed closely behind cursing the day she conceived Nelson at under her breath. Aisha’s father just beamed at Nelson and said “Go get your wife my son”.
Nelson embraced Bruno who was still in shock from what had just happened and went straight into Aisha’s room.
The first thing he noticed when he entered was that the room was absolutely quiet, he
assumed she was in the bathroom but eventually noticed her sprawled on the bed, exhausted from crying he supposed. It was not until he got much closer that he noticed the blood on the mattress. Nelson paused for some seconds trying to figure out what was going on, but then he saw the source of the blood; a kitchen knife was sticking out of the side of Aisha’s throat. He suddenly did not have the strength to scream or move or even stand, he collapsed into a nearby chair and stared at the dreadful sight before him. She was obviously dead already so Nelson had no reason to snap out of his shock. He just placed his head in his hands and wept. It was in her death that he now realized that responsibility was not the only reason he had decided to accept her and the baby, he loved her. He could not quantify the amount of pain he felt. He looked at her one more time to be sure he had not hallucinated and that was when he noticed the paper sheet in her left hand. He pulled it out and unfolded it, it was her suicide note;

To mummy and daddy and Nelson.
I hope no one has to read this but if things don’t go the way I want, then I don’t want the truth to be lost forever. I always liked Nelson from when I joined him at school so when we talked at the party I was happy I finally got a chance to meet him. But after he left the party that night, Bruno came to me and said that Nelson had arranged a spot for him to bring me to in town. Bruno took me to some room at a hotel and of course, Nelson was not there. Bruno raped me repeatedly that night and threatened me with a gun. He said if I told anyone he would shoot me in my private parts and make me watch him kill my parents as I bleed to death . I kept quiet about it but 2 weeks later I realised I was pregnant . I told Bruno about it and he took me to a hospital to abort it but the doctor said even at that early stage, an abortion could be fatal for me, so he came up with a plan. I didn’t like it but he didn’t leave me any choice and I was so scared. He  convinced Nelson to sleep with me, and threatened me to make sure he did it without protection. From there, everything fell into place for him. Today, Nelson will say if he’s going to accept the pregnancy or not. If he does, I'll  love him as much as I can and try to make us happy but if he does not, I won’t be able to live with the shame. I love you mum and dad and I love you Nelson. Aisha

The full force of realization hit Nelson hard. It all made sense suddenly . How Bruno paid for all the time he spent with Aisha, how he changed from passive to enthusiastic on the sex issue, how he was excited that he used no protection, how he had insisted on following him to Aisha’s home. With tears flowing down his face, Nelson dropped the note and pulled the knife out of Aisha’s corpse. He left her room and walked towards Bruno holding the knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment